Sunday, November 20, 2011

Paleo

Brandon and I went to a friends house for dinner last night and they started eating Paleo. At first I thought, they are CRAZY but the more I heard their reasoning for eating that way, the more I kind of wanted to try it. So starting tomorrow, Brandon and I are going to try it for 3 days and see if we can survive. If all goes well, we will try it for 30 days after Thanksgiving.
Tonight I made, what Wes and Erin's kids affectionately refer to as "Cereal". It is a Paleo Crunch (like a granola).
Paleo Crunch
1/2 c raw pumpkin seeds


1/2 c raw sunflower seeds

1 c almond meal

1 c shredded unsweetened coconut

2 c raw slivered almonds

1/2 c grape seed oil(or coconut oil)

1/2 c raw organic honey

1 tsp vanilla

Preaheat oven to 325. In  a large bowl, add Seeds, almond meal and almonds, mix well. Add in honey, oil and vanilla. mix well. Place wax paper on a cookie sheet and spread thin on a baking sheet and bake for 25 mins. Stir or flip over and bake for 5 more mins. Cool for 5-10 minstupperware or freezer bag to keep it from getting stale.

I added mine to some blueberries or a little bit of 85% Dark chocolate pieces and it was a great snack. Wes and Erin add theirs to strawberries after dinner and their kids devour it!
I didn't have Almonds or almond meal so I made mine without some of these ingredients. I would recommend baking it for 20 minutes rather than the full 30 minutes.  
Tomorrow for meals we are having:
Breakfast: Eggs and bacon with a cup of black coffee
Snack: Crunch and bananas
Lunch: A few slices of roast with a homemade NC style BBQ sauce:
Apple cider vinegar, honey, uncle Leo's seasoning and sea salt
Snack: Hummus and carrots
Dinner: pulled pork with salad and string beans
Snack: Crunch and blueberries 

To read more about Paleo, check out my friends blog: www.weserind.blogspot.com
Erin has some great recipe's and I am excited to try it out.
Happy Eating,


2 comments:

  1. That looks interesting! I might be the only one trying that one out! Dont really think Johnny will find this one appetizing! LOL BTW, your menu looks yummy! Sure wish I could have some FRUIT!!! Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon Likes it! I made his without Almond because he hates almond but he ate it today and said it was a good hunting snack! He asked me to make some more for his hunting weekend coming up!

    ReplyDelete