Sunday, February 19, 2012

Positive Sundays and Chicken Sausages

Today I woke up to a really nice email from a friend of mine that I used to work with. She and her husband have been making some eating changes and she has sent me some great blogs and ideas via facebook. Yesterday, we were chatting about my trip to the Loudoun Grown Expo and she was sharing her pasteurized co-op with me. We were talking about the differences in eggs (hopefully some photos will follow!)
Anyway, she shared with me that she had been reading my blogs and appreciated the fact that it isn't dedicated to weight loss but rather overall health from the inside out. *Weight loss is just a bonus* Thanks for you positive words Katie!


I always wanted to be skinny like my sisters and I would try everything to be as thin as possible- nothing ever worked and I just started getting discouraged and fatter. One day I started seeing some signs of health issues and I decided that I needed to get healthy. Weight loss wasn't my goal when I started running and eating better. Getting healthy for my husband and our possible future family was my goal. Brandon's family has a history of cancer and heart health and mine has a history of depression, anxiety and stress related issues. I was starting to suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and even went on medication to try and control it. My family also has a history of addiction and I didn't want to rely on medication to make me feel okay. I don't trust drug companies and I don't want to give them my money. As of today I am off all medications and I have never felt better! Yes, this blog isn't about being thin, it is about getting your life under control and being as healthy as you can be for your loved ones and for yourself!

I think it is great that through facebook, blog land and the Internet, we can all learn from each other and continue to take steps to help better ourselves through our eating and exercise habits.
She shared this link with me and I think it gives a great insight on why we should be making healthier eating options.
From Katie:
"I came across this website the other day and I feel like it sums up a good eating philosophy well -- consider sharing on your blog! Check out the video 5 things not to eat at beyond diet"

On a different note- Let's get to some food talk...
For the past few weeks I have been searching for some different meats that are easy to make besides chicken, bacon and ground beef. I have really been craving sausage but I couldn't find healthy sausage anywhere! At lunch I was sharing this with a few friends and they told me to make my own- that is a lot of work and during the school year, I don't have time. I hope to spend summers making some and freezing them but that didn't fix my "I WANT IT RIGHT NOW" issue. So tonight I happened to walk around Costco observing and researching a few things and found myself desperately reading some of the pre-packaged meats. I found what I was looking for!! YAY
 Chicken Sausages that are totally healthy! No MSG, No Gluten, No sugar, No Nitrates!! They were Roasted red pepper with spinach and garlic. They are pre-cooked so they are less processed than raw and frozen meats. I bought them to give them a try and they were delicious.

Tonight's dinner was Sausage, Eggs, and Toast

  • I took 5 sausages out (I underestimated their fillingness- way too many for two people.We only ate two of them.)
  • Place them in a skillet and warm them on medium heat.
  • Scramble eggs and toast some Irish Soda Bread with a little butter. This was a great light dinner and would make a nice quick and easy breakfast.
I am already thinking of a ton of recipe's to make with this sausage- one of them Jambalaya or grilled over a bonfire!!!
Hope you can find them at Costco or a local store. If not, order them from here.

Delicious dinner!





No comments:

Post a Comment