Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My first 5k ~Love the Run Your With~


This past Sunday, was my first 5k. I accomplished my goal! It was a fantastic, freezing, snowy day. I never could have done this without the support of my husband, family, and sister Kimberly. Thanks so much to all of them for believing that I could do this. I must say, the day of the race, I was NERVOUS!! I had the butterflies. As we got closer, the butterflies got worse. It was so cold, wet, and snowy. I knew I had to accomplish this. I wanted to better myself. I knew that I could do it. I didn't want to let my family down or myself down. I had in my mind the whole time, that I WASN'T going to to WIN and that I WASN'T going to be LAST! Kimberly and I got into line to get ready, there to the right of me standing on the curb was my "fan club" the ones who stood behind me the whole time during my training. (my poor husband had to stay in the coffee shop, it was way too cold for our 8 month old daughter to be outside. I knew he was rooting for me.) I felt great! We started off, up this steep hill (REALLY) I started freaking out! Do I SERIOUSLY have to climb this? I didn't train for any MOUNTAIN CLIMBING!! Finally, it evened out and it was great! I felt good, energized, and did I mention, freezing?! 10 minutes into the race, I noticed people running back to the finish line, WE JUST STARTED PEOPLE WHY ARE THEY FINISHED ALREADY?! (oh, how I want to be you right now, I want to be finished!) One mile sign, round the corner, 2 mile marker... See a large man... Ok, my goal... BEAT him.... round the corner... HELLO WIND! Large man... gone... goal dismissed! Large woman... beat her... I GOT THIS, oh its so cold! (forgot to mention, in the beginning the large hill... we get to run DOWN that hill) 3 miles... ALMOST THERE! The wind slowed me down quite a bit, but I pushed back. I kept pushing myself. I would set my self goals to run to. I of course went passed my goals. (felt great about that) Top of the hill, RUNNNN!!! I felt awesome!! Finish line nearing, hand in hand with my sister.... WE CROSSED IT! WOW, never felt so emotinal over a run! I definetly want to do this again! (warm weather of course) I am so happy, that I was able to achieve this. Thanks again to my sister and family for the encouragement! Looking forward to more runs with you Kimberly!!

Fan club wishing me luck at 7am before we left for the race!!
Pre- race photo moment


Hand in Hand finish!!!



A portion of my Fan Club

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I remember my first 5k and I thought I wasn't even going to make it the first mile, but I did! It's amazing how much a little encouragement can go! Great job! I have a collection of t-shirts from every race I've done, it's a neat reminder of just how much you are really capable of achieving with a little bit of hard work! Congrats on your first and may many more be in your future! Lauren McWilliams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! It was tough, but I am so glad that I pushed through. Definetly want to do more, for sure! Just only in the summer... I got a blanket for my first race! How many races have you done? Were you doing yours to loose weight or just because?

    ReplyDelete