Friday, February 17, 2012

A little weekend reading during the "SNOW" storm this weekend

How do you live without bread? The Bible says to eat bread! I feel sorry for you that you have to eat your burger with just lettuce! Don't you need bread when you are running 13 miles? People need bread when they burn off calories and you go to the gym a lot! Bread has a lot of nutrients that your body needs- cutting it out all together is not healthy! Don't you miss a big slice of bread or rolls?

These are all things that Brandon and I heard when we started taking bread out of our diet. To those thoughts above I say this:
                                                     

At first I missed bread and even had a roll at Texas Roadhouse a few months ago. As soon as I ate that roll, I got a headache and I haven't eaten bread since. I have been doing a lot of research about how bread is made and how it has changed over time. You are not eating the same bread that was in the Bible! You aren't eating the same bread your great grandparents ate. The wheat from today is full of hormones and chemicals. There is a chemical in wheat flour that makes you crave...MORE WHEAT FLOUR, sugar and junk food!

I need protein for training and running,  I need to stay hydrated and I need to make sure that I am getting a good healthy diet full of Omega 3's, Vitamins, veggies (add some starchy veggies for long training's) and fruits. I do not need Carbs for my runs. I think that is a myth that runners made up so that they didn't feel guilty for eating an  entire loaf of Great Harvest Apple Scrapple Bread! (yes I did this before my half marathon...oops!)

I read an article today about the things in our foods that we don't realize. Interesting item added to some of the breads:  commonly seen on packaged food labels as L - cysteine, or L - cysteine Hydrochloride (HCL). The additive can be produced in two ways: synthetically, from non-organic bases such as petroleum, or directly from human hair. It can be much cheaper to use human hair, which contains up to 8 per cent of the natural amino acid cysteine

A friend of mine sent me an article written by Dr. Hyman and it talks about how wheat flour is not the same as the wheat flour from back in the day. I suggest reading this article to get a better understanding of what you are putting in your body. I am not saying that everyone has to go Primal and eat like me. I know it isn't practical for everyone. But I do suggest that you start paying attention to the foods that you are consuming. Read a label- if you don't know what it is, research it before you put it in your mouth.

Another good read is "Wheat Belly" by: William Davis

When I was about 18 my mom and I were very interested in our digestive system and our issues with bowl movements. We watched all of those "Colon Cleanse" infomercials and we were fascinated by the ones with the "TAR bowl movements".  WEIRD! Any way, with that said, we stumbled across Kevin Trudea and his book "Natural cures- things they don't want you to know about". After reading his book and looking into health care and the side effects of every medication doctors prescribe, my mom and I became very skeptical of the shots and medications doctors are giving out. It is amazing how easy it is to get drugs today. I will not even get started on the drugs they are giving children and immunizations that they give to babies.

My recommendation is to read, research, investigate and pay attention to what you are putting in your body.
Try cutting out Wheat flour for 4 weeks and see how you feel. It has been interesting to hear the stories of others who have cut out wheat flour and then trying it again (yuck/ouch!). If you need a bread type fix switch to almond flour and try some of your favorite recipes. I have made pizza, muffins, fried chicken and I am currently working on trying biscuits. You are smart- don't let the government sucker you into getting sick or having cravings that are bad for you! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment