Monday, February 20, 2012

Presidents Day Tortilla's


Happy Presidents Day! I had the day off work and got up with every intention of making French toast. I guess that didn't seem like fun once I got all of my ingredients out. Instead I decided to do some research and make authentic Mexican tortilla shells. These are not your typical over spiced corn tortillas that you can get at American/Mexican restaurants! I played around with these a lot and here is what I came up with- Brandon liked both but this morning he was really into the sausage taco. I wanted to try my new honey so  I ate a sweeter version with some Dark chocolate Almond Milk. Enjoy and make these for your next Mexican night fiesta! Can't wait to try them with Guacamole and salsa. 

Crispy Tortilla’s
Ingredients:
2 C. Almond Flour
2 Eggs
1 tsp Olive oil or coconut oil
1 tsp Salt

For taco style add these spices:
¼ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
After it is cooked, top with Sausage, taco meat, spiced chicken etc. and
Sprinkle with shredded cheese, tomato and lettuce, a little hot sauce for kick

For breakfast fruit treat:
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ 1 tsp salt
After it is cooked, top with a drizzle of honey and fresh berries

Preparation:
  • Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well with a spoon.
  • Remove from bowl and place on almond floured parchment paper. Knead the dough until it is fully mixed and easy to work with. (It will be really sticky at first but just keep kneading it.)

  • Roll your dough into balls. Depending on what you want to use your tortillas for, roll to the size you would like. We played with a few variations. A ball the size of a clementine will give you a plate size tortilla. A ball the size of a walnut will give you a small tortilla size. And  a ball the size of a grape will give you a good chip size.
  • The flatter you make your dough, the crispier it will be. For my dessert tortillas I made them small and hand flattened them.
  • For my chips and the taco style tortillas, I put them between parchment paper and rolled them flat with a rolling pin and used a cookie cutter to get perfect circles.

  • Pour 3-4 Tbs of olive oil in skillet and bring to medium heat. Once olive oil is warm place your tortilla shells in the skillet. (make sure they are not touching).
  • Fry tortillas for 40-60 seconds on each side. The longer you cook them, the crispier they will be.
  • Place them on a paper towel to dry and cool.
  • Top them with whatever you like or dip them in guacamole and salsa.




Here are the three we tried today:


Breakfast fruit Tortilla:


Sausage taco:
 Sea Salt Chips:





No comments:

Post a Comment