Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What can I do if I am stuck and can't lose any more weight?

A questions I  received when I was away for a long (much needed weekend). 


I am stuck at a weight and I can't seem to make the scale budge, what do I do?


-This is a common complaint that I have noticed. I too had this issue and realized that by cutting out fruits and natural sugars, my body began to drop the weight I was holding. Natural sugars store up in your body and turn into fat if they aren't burned quickly. People who do not exercise should try to limit or avoid fruits and natural sweeteners. If you notice the feeling of not losing weight, maybe a little bloating in the mid section, sugars are probably the number 1 cause. Try slowly cutting back to one sweet a day and see if that scale doesn't give you a big surprise. (Boy followers don't read the next part!) Girls- you probably notice that the scale is not friendly to us during that particular time of month. Don't let this week discourage you, stay off the scale and continue eating the same way. I am not a fan of the scale in general. I don't think it matters what the number reads, it is all in how you feel. If you notice your pants getting tight, cut out some of the junkier food. If you are dropping pant sizes, keep doing what you are doing!


If cutting out fruit and natural sweeteners doesn't work, try increasing your daily activity. The rule is "play an hour a day". Go on a walk, do some squats, sit-ups, push-ups, stretching. Basically get off the couch and move around. If I don't feel like going to the gym, I will vacuum my whole house, garden, walk up and down the stairs, play fetch with Sali or just walk around. KEEP the TV off and move. 


I am currently at a stand still with my weight. I like the size that I am and now I am working on toning and strength. I am running and doing Crossfit style workouts and I will begin swimming soon. Because of the amount of exercise I get, I eat a good amount of fruit to maintain carbs but I don't recommend this if you are only walking a few miles here and there or doing a few reps for strength and conditioning (that won't burn the natural sugars). 
Coffee is a great hunger stimulant. Try it black or just a little cream. We walked and drank coffee for breakfast every morning!


Check out this yahoo news article that I came across today. I agree with most of this article but remember- all things in moderation! Eating bags of chocolate chips and Pounds of cheese will make you fat but if you eat them in moderation, yes I believe they can be a fat release. It is kind of like the 4-hour body by Tim Ferriss, the small amounts of certain foods help your body to maintain a healthy weight and your body fights and burns these calories when done right. 
Brandon and I walked over 20 miles in 3 days while we were at the beach. The weather was cloudy but warm and we couldn't help but walk and explore every street!




No comments:

Post a Comment