Friday, April 13, 2012

Red Brownie Cupcakes

This is a recipe that I said- eww those ingredients are disgusting! With my new open mind and a handful of ingredients on hand, I baked it up and I am so in love. This is a delicious recipe from Paleo Parents: Eat Like a Dinosaur  I was going to hold out on posting this until next week when I perfected my pictures and thoughts on it but I have had so many great responses and requests for this recipe from Paleo and non- paleo friends that I decided to throw it on the blog tonight.
I made these for a backyard BBQ, Easter and again today for my school friends. I have one particular co-worker that is a super picky eater. This week he thought it was crazy because he ate 3 salads in one week. I had him try one of these cupcakes today and he ate it even after I shared the ingredients with him. Throughout the day several co-workers stopped by room to get more of these little treats. I am so glad that they were delicious for all eating types! Hope you try this recipe, check out Paleo Parents and more ways to start adding healthier foods into your diet. 
*My friends who don't normally cook like this, go to Wegman's and get all of their ingredients there!*


Red Brownie Cupcakes


Ingredients:
  • 1 Medium red Beet (yes a beet in cupcakes-it's for color and nutrition, you can't taste it. I PROMISE)
  • 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
  • 1Cup Fresh dates (about 15, cut and de-pitted)
  • 1/2Cup Coconut oil
  • 1/2 Cup Butter (I use Kerrygold Grass-fed)
  • 1/2 Cup Palm Sugar (Paleo parents use unrefined sugar)
  • 1/2 Cup full fat Coconut Milk
  • 2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
  • 3 Tbsp  Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest (about half a lemon)
  • 8 eggs
  • 1Cup Almond Flour
  • 1/2Cup Coconut Flour
  • 1/3 Cup cocoa Powder
  • 1tsp Baking Powder
  • 1tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp Sea Salt
Process:
*It is a lot of ingredients and a lot of steps so read through the recipe first and then start baking. Don't be frightened, it isn't hard- just a lot ingredients. I have made some changes to the original recipe because I only have a small food processor (and my blender couldn't handle it)


  1.  Wash, peel and dice the beet into small pieces. Coat evenly with 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil and roast for 20 minutes at 425 Degrees until the texture is mushy like a banana.
  2. De-pit and puree 15 dates and place in mixing bowl with Coconut milk and roasted dates. Mix on high and scrape sides of bowl often until batter is a reddish color. Take all of this mixture and puree until smooth. *If you have a large food processor, you can omit the mixing bowl and just put it all straight in your processor. *
  3. Transfer puree back in the mixing bowl and add butter, coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, vinegar, and lemon zest.
  4. Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each one. 
  5. Sift together all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
  6. Slowly add to mixing bowl with the puree mixture and beat until batter is formed. 
  7. Fill lined muffin cups 3/4 full.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  9. Because of the large egg quantity in this batter, you'll want to store these in the fridge. Up to a week or more




I made 16 large cupcakes and 24 cupcakes
Sam having a cupcake for a pre- Easter treat


Jaden having some cupcake


Brandon enjoys them cold and I enjoy them with a cup of coffee or hot tea. We've also put some marshmallow fluff on top to eat like a cupcake. 
(Fluff recipe will be up soon, still a work in progress)

2 comments:

  1. They look pretty good! I am a little intimidated by the ingredients, but I am tempted to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so nervous about all those ingredients together (especially beets in cupcakes) but these have been a favorite among family and friends. Even for the ones who don't normally eat healthier! Give them a try and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete