Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Wild Game- courtesy of my Fabulous husband and his mad hunting skills

A Chukar
White Tail Deer
Free Range Chukars complete with shot are not the most appetizing looking critters when they are just brought home from a bird hunt but... Once they are cleaned and the shot is removed, it looks like a Cornish hen. We also breasted some out and it looks like chicken.
White tail deer are delicious creatures that God has given us to enjoy, and I certainly enjoy it. Some people are afraid to eat venison because they are haven't had it prepared properly for them in the past, the smell is different or they have preconceived ideas of what it might taste like. I wont lie- I too was nervous about venison until I started making it myself. I soak steaks, roasts and tenderloins in a baking soda, water and salt solution for about an hour and then marinade them like any other meat overnight (2 nights if you plan ahead and want a really juicy steak). The key with venison is to not overcook your meat. Watch the meat cook and DO NOT leave it alone unless it is a crock pot meal- in that case, check it every 4 hours to make sure it isn't getting over cooked. My husband, his dad and his brother butcher their own deer so we know exactly where the deer came from, what is in the ground meat and what size cuts we are getting.

Talk about your fresh healthy non nitrate soaked meats. Our freezer is now full of Poultry- Chukars, pheasants, an ity bity quail and Venison (deer meat)

With this said- I am fortunate to have hunters in my family (my husband even has my little sister hunting now). Not everyone hunts or knows hunters but this time of year your local butchers will be able to tell you where to get venison or Free Range birds. A lot of the higher end grocery stores will sell Venison this time of year (it is a little pricier but FRESH). Last year Giant had it randomly and you can buy on Amazon! Google Venison for sale and you can also find local places that sell it- don't wait til March because Hunting season will end and the price will go up.  If you live near farms or any places that take people on guided hunts, call and I bet you can find someone to sell you some meat. Stock up now! 
I will be posting a few recipes that I made with these meats but they are all recipes that you can use on Beef or chicken as well.
* If you are interested in getting into hunting check out this site www.delmarvahunters.com and ask questions on the forums or look at hunting dates on the calendars.   


No comments:

Post a Comment